Top Ten Reasons to Hire a DUI Attorney
- A DUI attorney will have significant trial experience.
- Court-appointed attorneys do not specialize in DUI cases.
- They are experienced with field sobriety tests and their reliability.
- DUI Lawyers are experienced in presenting relevant evidence.
- An experienced DUI lawyer will have access to expert witnesses to testify at your case.
- DUI attorneys may be able to get fines reduced.
- Competent DUI attorneys who specialize in drunk driving will know how to get jail time reduced if you are found guilty.
- Accepting a court-appointed attorney doesn’t mean there will not be an associated legal fees. If you are going to pay, you should be in control.
- The court is prepared – shouldn’t you be?
- Don’t take a chance with your freedom.
There are so many reasons to hire an attorney if you have been charged with DUI in Ohio. An experienced dui lawyer brings many assets to the table. For example, in Columbus, Ohio, a Columbus DUI attorney will be familiar with all the ins and outs of Ohio drunk driving laws as well as Ohio traffic law. It is especially important to consider if this is not your first DUI offense.
Also important is trial experience. An experienced Columbus DUI attorney will know how to get penalties, fines, and jail time reduced should you be found guilty. Many people shy away from hiring a DUI attorney because of the costs associated, but it can cost you more in the long run with heavy fines and penalties such as Administrative License Suspension, as well as jail time.
An experienced Ohio DUI lawyer will know what facts need to be presented during witness testimony or law enforcement testimony in order to challenge the charges. Attorneys familiar with drunk driving cases will also know which evidence will be helpful to your case and file the necessary legal motions.
DUI lawyers are also knowledgeable on the various field sobriety tests including breathalyzers. They will know which breathalyzers are in use and be familiar with their accuracy. Many people also do not know that breathalyzers require legal certification and maintenance records. Experienced attorneys know such information is pertinent and will not only know where to find it, but how to use it to your advantage.
Even in cases that do not go to trial, a DUI attorney can help you expediently resolve your case and get you the least amount of jail time, fines, and other penalties possible.
Be careful in selecting a lawyer. If at all possible, meet with the attorney prior to going to court. Sometimes the time constraints of a DUI make this difficult. But some attorneys like to force you to meet immediately prior to your first court appearance at the courthouse. In this situation, you must make a last minute decision about your attorney. Even if you don’t feel right about the particular attorney, you are likely to go with it due to the last minute duress.
Take the time to go to the attorneys office. Meet the office personnel, meet the other lawyers, see the office environment. The office is your point of contact. You should be comfortable with the environment.
Use your instinct. If you are comfortable with a particular lawyer, you are on the right track. But if you feel awkward or don’t quite get the right “vibe,” you should probably move on to someone else.
This is a tough decision. You owe it to yourself and the case to choose wisely. In the end, lawyers are there to help you protect your rights. For more information about Columbus DUI defense, contact our offices at 877-221-091.
Yavitch & Palmer, Co., L.P.A. – Columbus DUI Lawyers